Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Break it down

Do-gooders have every intention of, ya know, doing good. But like everything, it is important to know your stuff and not fall victim to companies who prey on our poor altruistic nativity.

  Recycled- This is your 2nd hand clothing and vintage finds.

 Upcycled- Unlike recycling upcycled is clothing that has been deconstructed, reconstructed and made into a shiny new garment.

Locally processed- These items are “Made in the USA.” While “Made in the USA” doesn’t always mesh with favorable ethics, American made clothing helps relieve the amount of waste that comes from shipping garments from oversees.

Natural Fibers- I see your eyes rolling in the back of your head “Oh you hippie! Eating organic foods, now your clothes need to be natural? GIMME A BREAK!” But this is probably the most important thing to consider when looking to have a lower impact with your clothing.

Mixed synthetic fibers will outlive you. Seriously, that F21 polyester blend shirt that informs the world “I only date superheroes” will sit in a land fill far past the lifetime of everyone you will ever know.
“BUT I LOVE BLENDS!” I know sister, I do too. In a later project I will explore how to best dispose of our beloved synthetic fibers, because let’s get real; those blends are here to stay.

Socially Considerate- Brands that have designated money to a legit, real, conscious cause. This takes research to not be duped.

Sounds like a lot right? It’s important to recognize here that it is near impossible (especially on my budget) to hit all of these elements. As I move forward, all of my clothing purchases will have to have at least one of these characteristics.



I want to give a shout out to the book “Wear No Evil” by Great Eagan. This book was fantastic in laying out the foundation for me. She has an amazing blog, and I highly recommend the book. Check her out, it’s worth the time. (http://www.gretaeagan.com/fashion-me-green-blog/)


2 comments: